JLE#18: Feedback Strategies

 Feedback Strategies 


Feedback Thoughts


This article makes it short and sweet by pretty much just coming out and saying to not soften the blows when you are giving feedback.  The author says that In order for both the receiver and the giver of feedback to benefit from anything, you need to start by not pulling any punches when it comes to giving feedback.  By saying things that are transparent and not manipulative, the receiver can actually benefit from what the person has to say.  I particularly liked how the author suggested to say things like " I have been researching great leaders and they gave great feedback, I am trying to replicate" or something like "I have high expectations and I know you can reach them, here are a few suggestions I had..." I find those to be a great way to say something constructive. 


Try Feedforward Instead of Feedback

The authors lists several reasons why the feedforward strategy is useful in helping people develop whatever it is they are trying to do.  By giving two suggestions that might help that person change, it unlocks a multitude of different possibilities for growth.  A particularly good point to me that the author makes is that we cannot change the past, we can only look ahead in the future.  So, by utilizing the strategy of feedforward, we can potentially offer more suitable advice and instead of focusing on what already occurred in the past, we can look ahead and start making changes for the future.  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

JLE#4: Introduction of JL

JLE#27: Week 7 Story